Wednesday, February 9, 2011

First Week Alone

So, Roger has gone to India for two months. It's his longest trip yet. He left last week (Sunday), so inevitably, everyone fell apart. Kit's school was closed the first two days of the week, then Jed was sick with a cold and a fever on Tuesday and Wednesday, Max (our dog) had an ear infection - so, you get the picture. My week was shot before I even got out of the gate!

To say I was ready for the weekend was an understatement, but we still had karate on Saturday morning for both boys, and Jed had Religious School Sunday morning. But, with children, nothing is certain...

On Tuesday - though Jed was fighting the fever, I took them to the beach here on the island. I figured that perhaps the salty air would act like giant nasal spray for both of them -- couldn't hurt, right??
On Friday, Jed's class was celebrating the 100th day of school (a very big deal, I'll have you know!). I was the lucky parent volunteer that counted out fourteen bags of 100 M&Ms each (do you know how difficult it is not to pop every other one into your mouth as you're doing this??!!). His teacher had them sort by color, then divide by half - half they ate in the morning and half in the afternoon. I'm proud to say that Jed didn't even eat a quarter of his!
That night - since it had been such a long week for all of us - I treated the boys to the new Italian restaurant on the island: Tony & Nellos. (okay, well, it used to be Jo-jos and they changed the name and moved next door - but it was our first time eating THERE!). It was an early dinner as we needed to get home for Roger's Skype call. Jed further expanded his culinary horizons by trying the Fettucine Alfredo.
Kit stuck to his usual spaghetti noodles with butter and parmasean cheese...
Saturdays are becoming a bit of a challenge now as their two karate classes no longer overlap. Jed's class begins when Kit's ends. And, he has sparring AFTER his class...sigh. So, I now have 1.5 hours to entertain Kit every Saturday. This past one, we utilized that time by using his Barnes & Noble gift card he got for his birthday. He bought a Skippyjon Jones book and a Skippyjon Jones puzzle (Skippyjon is a Siamese kitten who thinks he's a Chihuahua and has adventures as such - Kit is crazy about SJ these days). After making his selections, we stopped at the Starbucks in the store, and he got a Strawberries and Creme smoothie thingy.
Unfortunately, by Sunday morning, Jed's fever had returned and his ear ached. Sigh. So, he did not go to Religious School, and instead, on Monday morning, he went to the doctor to find out that he had an ear infection caused by the fever/cold he experienced earlier in the week. (Jed is still convinced that it is NO coincidence that he and Max have ear infections at the same time!) And, there is yet another day that Jed didn't go to school.

But, now, everyone (knock on wood) seems to be on the mend - even Max with the help of regular ear cleanings and ear drops! I'm hoping that the rest of the time Roger is gone is all downhill from here...

No comments: