Sunday, November 1, 2009

Jed's Costume Parade

On Friday at Jed's school, they had their annual Halloween Costume Parade. The kindergarten children dressed in costumes of characters from their favorite books, and they made the rounds through the courtyard while the other children in grades 1-5 cheered them on. It sounded like a great event for all the kids. Roger and I dropped Kit off at preschool early so that we could take Jed to school and stay for the parade. Since I worked for a month and a half on his costume - he was Perry the Platypus (Agent P) from Disney's Phineas & Ferb show - we bought a Phineas & Ferb book to make it legit!!

Here is a picture of the character:
Jed was more than happy to don his costume Friday morning.
However, when we got to school, Jed went ahead of us to his classroom so he wouldn't be late (we had to sign in). By the time we got to his classroom, another child had made fun of him in his costume. Even though 10 other kids and LOTS of adults told him that they loved his costume, he no longer wanted to wear it and was nearly in tears. I was so disappointed and broken-hearted for him. As they began the parade, he didn't want to wear the beak, the hood, the hat, nor the tail. He kept tearing them off...so we left him alone. You can see here, just before they did the parade that he was cranky.
At the time, I didn't know that it was just one kid that made the comment. I thought that older kids had recognized his costume on the way in to his class and said something to him that he misunderstood as criticism. So, I was a little cranky with him too - out of shear disappointment that my efforts were not in the least bit appreciated. Of course, I got over it (mostly), but I'm still disappointed for him that he let it ruin this once-in-a-lifetime event.

Here he is trudging through the courtyard carrying his bits and pieces of costume...
And, maybe I shouldn't post pictures of him "cracking a shitty" (throwing a fit), but I figure that this is still his once-in-a-lifetime event, and someday we'll look back together and realize how silly it all was.

No comments: