Today I was a really lame wife. Today was Roger's birthday. Did I plan anything special? (Can I count the start of the kitchen renovation as "birthday special?") Okay, so I didn't. Besides, these days, we're just about joined at the hip - one of us needs to get a life so the other one can! But, that's another story...
Back to the birthday...Of course, usually when I buy something for him for his birthday, he tells me it was a waste of money, blah, blah, blah... I'm trying to teach all three of my boys that it's the THOUGHT that counts! But, nonetheless, since we did the cake last Thursday, and since he doesn't even eat cake most of the time, I didn't figure that was worth a repeat performance. Did I tell you that the dogs ate the half of cake that was leftover?! Naughty dogs.
I think I have a stream of consciousness thing going on here tonight...my apologies. I'm easily distracted.
ANYWAY, back to the birthday...so, this morning we overslept (we NEVER do that) - so, that was Roger's first gift: the dogs let him sleep until 7:30. Next, I would like to think that the start of the kitchen renovation will benefit Roger too, so, like it or not, I'm countin' that as #2. Then, just as the boys and I were running out the door (late, of course), I remembered that I did waste money on a gift for Roger that I wanted the boys to give to him. And, it HAD to be done this morning. So, we all stopped, I grabbed the gift bag and asked Jed to give it to him. In the bag were 2 CDs - Bruce Springsteen's Magic and Peter Sarstedt's Greatest Hits. I'm all about the first, and not in the least enthused about the second, but hey, it wasn't MY birthday, and I knew that he wanted it. And, I think he liked them. Even better.
What are we up to now? 3 gifts? Yes. So, this afternoon, Roger had to do some cleaning out of the garage (I'll get to all of that in the next post about the kitchen renovation). For weeks now, I've been saying that we need to put some of this excess furniture on Craig's List. And, for weeks, Roger has been agreeing, but the garage was such a mess, and to get a good picture - well, you get the picture. So, finally today, I took those pictures as Roger pulled the stuff out into the driveway. I posted 7 items on Craig's list this afternoon. 3 of those things left our house this evening, and we made some $$. SO, I'd like to count this as gift #4. It's kind of nice to finally see some money coming IN to the house rather than just always going OUT...
It has been nice, though, that so many of our friends and family - yes, that's you - have called today and this evening to wish Roger a happy birthday. Every time the phone rings now, I tell Roger to get it because I know it's for him. Very nice. Thank you all for that.
Monday, January 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I didn't hear you mention singing a song...I will do that now!
Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday Dear Roger, Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Belated Birthday Roger!!!!
Love,
Claudi & Rhoda
Post a Comment