Friday, January 23, 2009

Odds & Ends

Last weekend, Roger and I were out changing the outdoor light on our porch, when I looked around the corner to check on the boys and saw that they were sitting on the bench on the other side of the pool. This in itself is not remarkable, but the fact that they were both in costume made it a cute moment. Jed was dressed as Batman and Kit was dressed as Spiderman. They were sitting on the bench facing each other talking. I told Roger that I had to run and get my camera. Of course, by the time I got the camera, they were off the bench and running around the yard, but I convinced them to sit on the bench for a picture anyway. It's just not the same as what I first saw, but it is still quite funny (and cute).
Then, on Tuesday, Uncle Stuart stopped by. Stuart is a childhood friend of Roger's, and he and his partner, Eileen, are here in Florida for a visit (staying elsewhere). Roger thought it was funny that Stuart's rental car was a big honking Cadillac (Stuart's a sportscar kind of guy). So, here's Roger and Stuart in front of Stuart's Caddy.
That same day, a belated birthday gift arrived for Kit from Aunt Candy (a dear friend of mine in Texas). She said it was in a huge box because she couldn't get the tail to fit into anything smaller (my curiosity was peaked). Kit was already in costume again when we opened it - this time he was Batman.
He and Jed both like the dinosaur - thanks Aunt Candy! They have been taking turns giving the dinosaur piggy-back rides...

Then, Thursday, as you've probably already read, Kit had his tonsils and adenoids out. All went well, and we are continuing to try to get him to drink anything and everything. He doesn't make for a good patient - not very cooperative in the least. And, for those of you who know him pretty well, this won't come as a surprise to you. We have pain medication for him that makes him sleepy, so that's a bit of a blessing. However, he doesn't even want to take that because it requires him to swallow. We're getting through it, though. We have to threaten that if he doesn't take his medicine and drink his drinks that we'll have to take him back to the doctor (it's not really an idle threat either!). Fortunately, that usually does it, and he reluctantly acquiesces.

So, today, I spent the better part of the day cooking and baking preparing for our dinner tonight with Stuart and Eileen. I made an apple pie, and as I was finishing, Kit asked me to make him a cake. How could I say no? So, he picked out a red velvet cake mix and vanilla frosting. Then, he helped me make the cupcakes. I figured as long as he ate something, it was fine. He was mesmerized watching the cupcakes baking with the apple pie. However, when I asked him if he wanted something for lunch, he plastered himself to the floor in full-on drama.
He got over it and had more Ramen noodles and a cupcake. He seems more like his usual self this evening, and I hope that he will be even more so tomorrow. It's still a battle to get him to drink anything, but he's eating more and taking drinks on his own now and again, so it's a start.

Late this afternoon, Roger agreed to finally cut down our bananas. I have been researching them and found that they won't turn yellow until you cut them down. Of course, once you cut them down, you have to cut the tree down too. Who knew? Apparently, the tree has served it's purpose once it flowers and fruits. We have plenty of others anyway. So, here's Roger as it actually happened...with the hand saw...
And, this is how Roger thought he should have done it (with his African sword).
We'll let you know how those bananas turn out. We also discovered today that our lovely doggies, Max & Meggie, ate every one of our green tomatoes on our tomato plants on the porch! Needless to say, we were NOT happy about that - there were so many! So, the doggies have now been banished to the doggie yard and no longer have the privilege of roaming the yard or lounging on the porch unattended.

1 comment:

Ottawa said...

10 days without an update - what are the kids up to?
L&A&H (Ottawa)