Sunday, November 21, 2010

Seventeen Years Later...

Facebook has been a wonderful way for me to reconnect or "find" people whom I had lost somewhere within the various and plentiful chapters of my life. Just this last year, I found another person with whom I had bonded many, many years ago...okay, it has been seventeen (to be exact) since I last saw him! When I was in the Army and stationed at Ft. Hood, my friend, Scott, came to my unit a year before I left. I was married to my first husband at the time, but I had moved back into the barracks since my ex was off doing other military things. Scott was from Maryland as well, and we formed an immediate bond.

Eventually, I got out of the Army (no thanks to Scott - we partied so hard the night before I was to get out, that I almost missed my ETS appointment!), moved to South Carolina, and Scott was transferred to Korea. That was back in the days when people wrote letters to stay in touch (do you remember when people did that??!!). We wrote for awhile, but then we lost touch. So, fast-forward seventeen years, and, out of curiosity, I looked him up on Facebook. And, can you believe, he lives in Florida!?!!?? Hey, I do too!

So, we reconnect - so much to catch up on - and I just so happen to have friends who live near him! When Roger returned from Israel, and I got my kitchen pass for a few days, I headed over to Susan & Jim's and arranged to have dinner with Scott. Good friendships are so nice...no matter how much time has passed, you feel like you can just pick up where you left off - and that's what we did (after we filled in the seventeen-year gap!). Here we are Monday night (it was nice of his roommate to take our photo!)...
Now that we have Facebook and live in the same state, I'm looking forward to staying in touch with Scott!

No comments: