Roger and I enjoy the zoos because there aren't so many rides (neither of us really care for rides), but we love to look at the animals - even though we have 2 wild ones living right here in our own home - and I'm not talking about the dogs!
We started out at the Manatee Fountain at the entrance. This place seemed to me to be a little of Epcot (showcasing different places in the world) mixed with a regular zoo. They had an African Safari wing, an Australian Walk-About wing, an Asian garden, etc. It was very nicely done. So, here are my boys (all three of them) at the Manatee Fountain.
I won't bore you with lots of animal pictures, but I do have to post this one. This was one of the first animals we encountered - the Bearded Pig - and boy, was he! Gee, does he need a shave or what??!! Ewww....
So, we made our way to Primate World. Many of you already know that Roger used to have a female chimpanzee, so this is always a special section of the zoo for us. Roger always tells me that he can speak "chimpanzee." Of course, to me, this sounds like Dory speaking "whale" in Finding Nemo, but what do I know?? Anyway, there was only one chimp out when we arrived at the chimp habitat, but soon, an apparently female chimp showed up on the "demonstration rock" - you know, the one right up front where they can showcase themselves giving everyone the best view. She had a very large, okay, abnormally large, rear end.Now, if you're wondering how I know that she was a she, well...another chimp shows up, gives a few "ooh-oohs," then proceeds to "do the deed" with her on the demonstration rock (from behind). I was so shocked, I actually said to Roger, "Are they doing what I think they're doing?" Roger's reply was simply, "Get the camera! Get the camera!" So, yes, they WERE! I thought that this was a family zoo - and I'm telling you, those chimps knew what they were doing the whole time - they were watching all of us for a reaction. So, yes, we visited the zoo, and we payed good money for some chimp porn! Fortunately, our kids didn't know what was going on - and I wasn't about to enlighten them. When they were done, the male strutted off (to another portion of the demo rock), looked out at us all, and did LOTS of "ooh-ooh-ooh ah-ah-ahs." And, no, I did not get that picture. Even though the camera was around my neck, I was so shocked and appalled, I was unable to photograph it.
Then, we moved on to a more G-rated zoo...we encountered a llama on the path. I can't remember the llama's name - she had one - but we asked if we could get a picture of the boys with her. The trainer said yes, and just as I raised the camera to take the shot - the llama turned her head and posed. Yes, she POSED! I took 2 pictures, and she did the same thing both times! It was actually quite cool. The trainer said that she did, indeed, pose because she gets treats for doing it! How cool.
Not far beyond the llama was the Merry-Go-Round. The boys were elated, to say the least. We told them that since we had season passes that we would do one ride per visit (otherwise, that slippery slope would have us at the zoo just to ride lots of rides - and they have plenty that Roger and I are willing to do there). Anyway, Jed chose the leopard (though I think he called it the jaguar - maybe he's right - I don't really know). Kit chose the zebra. I don't think I have ever seen these 2 boys SO excited. I thought they were going to bust with happiness - seriously.
Here are some of those busting-with-happiness shots...
After the ride, we had lunch - which actually wasn't so bad for eating at a zoo, and then we ventured into the Australian Walk-About wing (we were looking for the dunny). But, we saw this lovely wall mural, and we thought it was so appropriate to take a picture of the boys in front of it since it is where they were born. And, leave it to them to strike a pose...
We were expecting Fiona & family to visit with us that afternoon, so we had to leave after this, and the kids were getting tired anyway. I must say, I'm actually looking forward to going back to the zoo now - it really was a nice zoo.



No comments:
Post a Comment